Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nursery Inspiration

Today I'm sharing my inspiration for our little man's nursery. But before I share that inspiration, let's take a minute and loathe look at the "before" picture. This picture is from when our home was for sale back in 2011. Since then, we've had the carpets replaced, white fan installed, doors and ceilings painted white, and we put on new dark oil-rubbed bronze door handles.  So, that leaves the damaged dark blue walls (the previous owners were addicted to hanging things on every inch of every wall) that so desperately need to be prepped and painted and the chewed-up corner of the window sill and blinds (thanks, B and T) that need some fixing. So, as you can see... we have quite a ways to go before achieving the dream nursery.


I've put together the layout of the nursery (note: even though my dad is an engineer, I am not very skilled when it comes to measurements, etc. Oh, and if you couldn't tell from my amazing drawing skills, that circle-thing in the bottom left corner is a lamp. You're welcome.) via Paint. As you can see, we only have room for the basics: crib, dresser, and rocker. I don't want a lot of unnecessary items in his room - I want to keep it very simple, which is my typical way of decorating anyways. I also tried to think of additional storage, so I'm thinking a small table to go beside the rocker and two semi-large baskets for holding blankets, toys, etc. will do. I would really like to put a book nook behind the door, something like this, to make good use of wasted space. 

I'm also not really big into themes, more like schemes - color schemes that is. I envision this nursery as classic with a touch of rustic/edginess. With the touches of navy, gray, and white (if you're thinking those colors sound a lot like the Dallas Cowboys colors, then you're right -- GO COWBOYS), along with the mismatched furniture, I feel that this look accomplishes just that!


We hope to get out this weekend to look at paint colors; right now I'm loving Sherwin Williams Repose Gray. I also want to check-out the crib and dresser set I'm ooh-ing over from Babies "R" Us to make sure it's something we both love.

Be sure to stay tuned for more on the make-over journey of our disaster room turned nursery!


No comments:

Post a Comment