Monday, October 20, 2014

Weekend Happenings

What an eventful weekend to follow an eventful week! We started off the weekend right away by getting together for a surprise birthday dinner Friday night for one of our closest friends. After dinner, we met up at a local bar, which ended up being a really neat spot, and hung out till the wee-hours of the night (translation: 12:45 am).


Saturday, while the guys all got together and golfed, one of my girlfriends came over so I could help her by sewing "Lettuce Edge" to 24-yards of tulle to add to two of her daughter's friends dresses (for length) for her upcoming quinceanera. If you're unsure as to what "Lettuce Edge" is (it's ok... I didn't know either), it's basically a ruffled hem edging to knit or stretchy fabric:

Source: Donna Huebsch
It's been a long (huge emphasis on long) while since I used my sewing machine, so it needed to be pulled from the closet and dusted off. I also needed to brush-up on the instructions on how to thread the machine, which didn't seem to take too long... However, once I started attempting the "Lettuce Edge" I began experiencing the same problem I had in the past when using my machine - the thread just wouldn't stay in the bobbin, and if anything is wrong in the bobbin department nothing will work correctly. So, we (and by "we" I really mean "I") kept getting this horrible, straight from a nightmare looking hem on this tulle, which in turn made me super frustrated. By this time, my friend probably regretted asking me to do this for her, but I was determined to help her out. After playing with the thread in the bobbin and adjusting the settings (in other words, pretending like I knew what I doing) I gave it another shot. My friend shouted, "It's working!" and we both decided to celebrate with pizza.


After four hours of sewing, I felt like the "Lettuce Edge" queen. I also felt like I was capable of sewing anything my heart desired. So, since it's been a while since I've done anything super crafty, I'm now determined to start a sewing project or two! Do you have any good project ideas for me?

Sunday, I did some cleaning around the house and de-cluttered the nursery closet (mostly by moving everything to the guest room closet). Later that afternoon we headed to my dad's house for the Cowboys game and to celebrate a day early for my dad's birthday with dinner and cake. We ate dinner and watched the game outside (Cowboys are now 6-1!!), since the weather was so amazing - two rabbits even decided to hop their way into the backyard, but T quickly chased them off.




We made it home and we, including the dogs, called it an early night - after Peyton Manning broke the record for touchdown passes, of course.

I hope everyone had a great weekend, and continues to have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment