Friday, October 17, 2014

50 Shades of Gray

If you follow me on Instagram (@matkinson87), then you already know that the hubs a.k.a. The Paint Master painted the nursery! To some this may not be a big ordeal, but to me it's HUGE because it means we have officially begun preparing our home for our sweet little babe.

I've known for a while, and I mention it in my Nursery Inspiration post, that I wanted the room to be a light gray, but which light gray was the question?

Colors by Sherwin-Williams
While it felt like I was looking at 50 different shades of gray, I really tried to not get overwhelmed and stick to what I originally wanted, which was a definite light, crisp gray with no hints of other color(s). Pinterest was pretty dang helpful in narrowing down the number of grays for the nursery; that's where I discovered Repose Gray and Passive Gray. I really liked the way both colors only looked gray and no other color (like beige, green, blue, etc.) and how they made the white baseboards just pop with brightness. If you remember, the room we're working with was a darkish-blue... so anything bright and light-colored just made me smile.

via Pinterest here
via Pinterest here
So, off the hubs went to the paint store to pick-up a sample of Repose Gray and Passive Gray, as well as a third gray sample he thought may work. I've been nagging asking him for at least a month about picking some paint samples out, so I'm sure you can imagine how excited I was to get this party started.  He painted the three color options on the wall and I quickly noticed how Repose Gray was just too beige and the random gray he picked out (I was too obsessed with Passive Gray that I didn't bother with the name or brand of this third paint) had a major hint of green.


With Repose being too beige and the random gray being too green, this made it obvious that we were going with Passive Gray (yay, we have a winner)! While I was at work on Thursday, the hubs was busy prepping and painting the nursery - he'd send me a picture every now and then so I could see the progress, since I couldn't be there and am unable to help. When I got home, he just finished with the second coat and was about to begin painting the trim.


Ignore the floral love seat - it won't be around for long, I promise.
I am in total love with this paint choice. I know it can be a lot more difficult and overwhelming for some to choose such a neutral color, especially if you don't mind a hint of another color, but this was just about as easy/pleasant (minus the constant nagging asking of my dear husband to start looking at paint chips with me) as it gets and I could not be happier with the outcome.

Ok, so now that I've talked your ear off about the color gray, let's get started on the color blue... just kidding. :) I hope everyone enjoys their weekend - I know I'll be spending mine admiring the new gray (I swear that's the last time I mention that color) room and thanking my amazing paint master of a husband!


2 comments:

  1. The bedding will look so good with color! Brandon did such a good job ....finally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Couldn't have done it without him :)

      Delete