Monday, September 14, 2015

Crafting for Grandparents Day

Even though we celebrate Grandparents Day all year long (what would we do with out them), this past Sunday was National Grandparents Day. Being the hubs' and my parent's first Grandparents Day with baby B, I wanted to make sure they each got a little something special.

Since my guy is still a baby, it was so easy to figure out what we wanted to make for his grandparents -- something personalized with his tiny, adorable hand prints!

First, I picked up some plain white platters (you can use cups, plates, bowls, whatever your heart desires) and enamel paint. You want to make sure you take off any stickers on the glassware and wipe it down with some rubbing alcohol getting any grime off the dish you're about to paint.


Second, when the best idea quickly turned into the what the hell was I thinking idea... Paint your child's hand. (Note: Lots, and I mean LOTS, of paper towels and deep breaths will be needed.) It took us a few tries and red paint everywhere, but we finally got it!


You'll want to let that paint dry before you begin painting your art. Can you tell which animals these little hand prints are going to be?


My in-laws are huge Razorback fans, so it was obvious we would do something hog related, and the monkey was just adorable, so we couldn't not do that one.



Once you've finished painting your art, you'll want to let the paint dry completely. I suggest waiting a few days to be extra sure. Then you'll want to put it in the oven at 275 degrees for about 30 minutes - this sets the paint so it doesn't peel off. *Be sure you put the dish in the oven prior to turning it on/off. It needs to heat up and cool down with the oven to avoid the dish from breaking.*

Hope the grandparents love their new platters! (I should've made an extra one for me, because I love them that much!)


No comments:

Post a Comment