Monday, December 1, 2014

No Sew Tree Skirt

I'm sure you have seen the ruffle burlap no-sew tree skirt tutorials all over Pinterest, as they've been quiet the rage the past few years. I love easy (cheap) projects, especially ones that will make a big impact once finished. So, two years ago I decided to make one to go under our Christmas tree!

What you'll need:
Hot glue gun & glue sticks
Scissors
About 4 yards of fabric of your choice (I used burlap)
Old Christmas tree skirt
Bottle of wine to polish off after the project is complete (trust me, you'll want to)

I used about 2 yards in the original tan burlap color and another 2 yards in the lighter cream burlap color, which I purchased from Hobby Lobby. I picked up a tree skirt from the Dollar Store because we didn't have one laying around. Since the tree skirt I picked-up from the Dollar Store had felt pieces on it, I just flipped it over and used the plain side.

You'll want to cut your fabric into strips - the size doesn't necessarily matter, but you want it to be consistent. Also, the larger the strips, the more space you'll cover... In other words, the shorter amount of time you'll spend gluing them to your tree skirt - totally up to you! I think I did about 2 inch strips.

Cut until you have a pile of fabric strips - this is probably the most tedious part of the project, so make sure something good is on TV!

Make your first line of glue, starting at the edge of the tree skirt (you're working your way in). Place your fabric on top of the glue line. To make a ruffle, pinch a portion of the fabric between your fingers and press it down, overlapping the previous ruffle. Then, keep going, adding more fabric as needed, until you have completed your first row.

To start your second row, and the other rows to follow, start your glue line a few inches above your glued on fabric and make your ruffles like you did in the first row. Keep making ruffles until you've reached the center of the tree skirt.

I wish I had more pictures of when I was making the skirt, but this is the best I have!
This project took me a couple hours to complete (plus a million glue sticks and some burnt finger tips), including breaks in between, but I just love how the ruffled skirt looks under our Christmas tree! You'll most likely feel exhausted and have a love/hate relationship with burlap afterwards, which is why I suggest a bottle glass of wine to help relax & unwind - you deserve it. ;)

Christmas, 2013
As a bonus, and since Christmas month is officially upon us, here are some pictures from the past two years of our sweet boxers (excuse their mug-shot-like facial expressions) in front of the Christmas tree, it's tradition :) - you can even see the tree skirt in the background.
Brie & Tyson, 2012

Tyson & Brie as reindeer, 2013
Aren't they just the cutest?! And what good troopers putting up with my ridiculous photo ideas... :)

Let me know if you decide to make a ruffled tree skirt, I'd love to see your finished masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment